To ensure that farmers and fishers are able to maximize the services designed to uplift their condition, we continue to explore all areas of collaboration and partnership for its extension initiatives.
1. ATIng Gulayan ng DA
In line with the DA’s thrust of ensuring food security and poverty alleviation, we aim to showcase urban and sustainable agriculture technologies through edible landscaping. Setting an ideal demonstration area is our very own small urban garden at the ATI Central Office in Quezon City which features vegetables and crops cultivated using organic farming practices.
2. Ladderized Approach to ATI Extension Services
- Level 1: Learning Sites for Practical Agriculture I (LSPA I). As part of our ladderized approach to extension service, we support the development of rural farms by certifying them as model sites that serve as demonstration areas for hands-on learning.
- Level 2: Learning Sites for Practical Agriculture II (LSPA II). We support the further development of LSPA I farms to the next level. Once qualified, LSPA II farms offer farm business advisory services, demonstration services, information services and training services, whose owners/operators also become farmer-trainers cultivating not only attitude, skills and knowledge (ASK) but also wisdom among farmers and fishers.
- Level 3: Private Extension Service Providers (P-ESPs). We accredit organized institutions to become P-ESPs that serve as our partners in the provision of extension services to farmers/fishers and their organizations.
3. Private Extension Service Providers (P-ESPs)
As part of the Extension Accreditation Services component of our ladderized approach to extension, we encourage individual LSPA I and LPSA II farmer/farm family operators to form an “organization/network of extension service providers” to enable them to apply for accreditation as our P-ESPs. Considered as full-fledged extension agencies, P-ESPs are better equipped as our partners in the provision of extension services to farmers/fishers and their organizations.
This is in compliance with the provisions of Section 91 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Republic Act No. 8435 or the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act and per DA Administrative Order No. 22, Series of 2008.
4. Farm Tourism Sites (FTS)
In line with Republic Act 10816 or the Farm Tourism Act of 2016, we assist our LSPA I and II and P-ESP farms to meet the requirements of the Department of Tourism for accreditation as FTS.
5. Big Brother-Small Brother Extension Partnership Scheme on Farm Tourism
To boost the farm tourism industry in the country, we encourage LSPA owners and operators as “big brothers” who adopt small farmers as “small brothers” and capacitate them with ASK and eventually become their partners in agribusiness.
6. Livelihood for Rural-Based Organizations (RBOs)
We strengthen the competencies of our dynamic client system through continuous training and education support programs for Rural Improvement Clubs, 4-H Clubs, 4-H Volunteer Leaders Association of the Philippines, Japan Agricultural Exchange Council Alumni Association of the Philippines, Farm Home Extensionists Association of the Philippines, Pambansang Mannalon, Mag-uuma, Magbabaul, Magsasaka ng Pilipinas (P4MP), Magsasaka Siyentista (MS), and other professional groups of extension workers.
7. Assessment Center
In partnership with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), we offer assessment and accreditation services for NC II programs related to agriculture and fisheries through our training centers that have been accredited as assessment centers, particularly on organic agriculture and animal production.
1. Malitubog-Maridagao Irrigation Project
In partnership with the National Irrigation Association, we provide training and technical assistance on sustainable rice production to members of the Irrigators Association in Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao and Region XII.
2. Better Rice Initiatives in Asia
We provide training on value chains, basic agriculture, rice specific farming techniques and enhanced methods on training delivery to Agricultural Extension Workers and lead farmers in Iloilo, Aurora and Southern Leyte.
3. Weather Index Based Insurance
Strengthening the capacities of our farmers and farmer associations to increase resilience of agricultural production, we provide training/ briefings on Farmers' Decision Support System, Good Agricultural Practices, and Climate-Smart Farmers' School.
4. ASEAN Sectoral Working Group on Agricultural Training and Extension
In contribution to the total development of human capital in the agricultural and fisheries sector, we provide training and extension on crops, fisheries and livestock, as well as disseminating technologies in various commodities.
5. Project for Strengthening Capacity Building in Agriculture Sector in ASEAN countries Phase 2 (CB Project 2)
We enhance the capabilities of agriculture-related practitioners and officials in ASEAN member states through training courses, seminar, and dispatch of Japanese experts funded by the ASEAN- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.