Agriculture & Fisheries Scholarship Programs
The Agricultural Training Institute (ATI), as the Department of Agriculture's extension and training arm, offers scholarship programs for degree and non-degree training in agriculture and fisheries through the Expanded Human Resource Development Program and Youth for Agriculture and Fisheries Program.
The Expanded Human Resource Development Program (EHRDP)
Along the Department of Agriculture's mandate of providing quality education and training on science and technology, the EHRDP generally aims to accelerate social progress and promote total human development. Specifically, it aims to
- Offer a program of continuing education for the Department staff;
- Expand existing program of scholarships for degree and non degree training in national and international institutions for deserving technical, scientific and extension workers and practitioners in agriculture and fisheries.
EHRDP Guiding Principles
- It shall be open to all qualified applicants, preferably the best and the brightest.
- The Department shall have the responsibility of providing its personnel equal opportunities for training, education and career development.
- On a continuing basis consistent with the overall framework of the AFMA.
- Scholarships shall be provided through State Universities and Colleges, private colleges and universities/training institutions approved by the ATI Capability Building Committee.
Youth in Agriculture and Fisheries Program (YAFP)
This was designed in furtherance of the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act (AFMA) Section 77.3 which mandates the Department of Agriculture, particularly the ATI and the National Agriculture and Fisheries Council (NAFC), in collaboration with other concerned agencies, to expand its existing program for scholarships for degree and non-degree training in agriculture and fisheries. This is specifically designed for capable and deserving youth, particularly the children of smallholder farmers in order to encourage and support their studies, services and professional careers in agriculture and fisheries. Specifically, the YAFP Scholarship has the following objectives:
- Encourage capable and deserving youth, particularly the children of smallholder farmers and fishers to pursue studies and professional career in agriculture and fisheries;
- Produce new kind of farmers who are equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills and possess the right attitude in putting up agribusiness enterprise; and
- Provide subsidy for their education in their chosen courses and careers in agriculture and fisheries.
YAFP Guiding Principles
- The DA shall endeavor to offer a scholarship program open to all deserving children of small farmers and fisherfolk;
- The DA shall enlist the expertise of State Universities and Colleges in providing quality education for the children of smallholder farmers and fisherfolk;
- The DA believes that providing scholarship will attract young talented persons to go into agriculture and fishery professions; and
- Scholarships shall be provided through State Universities and Colleges, private colleges and universities approved by the ATI Capability Building Program Committee.